North Cyprus Tourist Board - outrageous taxes by trnc post office
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > outrageous taxes by trnc post office

outrageous taxes by trnc post office

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

faithworks

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

A friend of mine had a camera shipped to him in NC by courıer. The camera costs aproximately $400 but was got at a clear out sale for $150. apart from having to go to the post office to collect this package he was charged 200TL as import tax. this doesnt feel right and i think he was ripped off.. anybody know of how the tax of goods shipped by courier are calculated, and any ideas on couriers that deliver to you door..

Thanks

TimothyCadman

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

The taxes are as stated by the Government not the Post Office. They just collect them on behalf of the Government. Any problems then you'll need to speak directly to the Tax Man in Lefkosa.

Importation of Luxury goods carry a high tax in the TRNC, cars being another example.

Couriers are caught the same way. All imports need to clear customs in Lefkosa and taxes paid BEFORE they are released.

Just as in the UK the only certanty is taxes need to be paid where it can be proved the goods are new.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 14:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

My Son bought something off the internet it was sent from China and because of tax it cost him a lot more than he expected, as it had to come through customs he had to pick it up at the Post Office and pay quite a hefty tax on it that is in the UK.

ROBnJO

Message Posted:
17/07/2009 15:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

Outrageous Taxes??

Sounds like good old Blighty to me!

My Daughter recently went to New York, shopping, and was unluckily (?) stopped in the Green Channel at Heathrow.

Her 'bargains' had cost her £500, she then had to pay another £150 in tax & VAT.

Re msg 1: So the camera, worth $400, ended up costing about $220 after tax? Still sound a good deal!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.