North Cyprus Tourist Board - Restaurants within walking distance
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Restaurants within walking distance

Restaurants within walking distance

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

» Kyrenia Restaurants

» Famagusta Restaurants

stewilky

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 01:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Hello everyone.

This is my first post so..be gentle.

We are coming to TRNC for the first time at the end of August for a two week holiday staying in Girne.

I’ve been reading these Forums for the past few weeks, mostly to find the best restaurants and beaches to visit.

I have drawn up a list of restaurants recommended on this forum.

We are staying near the new harbour. As we enjoy a drink with our meal we are looking to walk to whichever restaurant we choose for the evening. Obviously the ones in the Turkish quarter, The harbour and surrounding area easily walkable for us. A few on our list are in Karaglangoglu and Zeytinlik , are these within walking distance?

We are not hikers but could manage a mile or two max! If not, are the taxis reasonable? Would it be cost restrictive to get a taxi both ways?

One final question, we hope to have a meal at Bellapais to see the view and watch the sunset. Which is the best restaurant there for food, views that order? Thanks

Brinsley

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 01:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

Forget Taxi's too expensive, take the local bus service.

Richard

minertor

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 01:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

Karaglangolu is about 45 mins on foot, save yer feet, not much there. Zeytinlik is upper Kyrenia and is about 30 minutes away. A few good places but finding them not easy on foot. Up hill from harbour, right at roundabout takes you into central Girne, bear left opposite car park for old quarter. Left at roundabout to Karakum, 5 mins on foot. Straight across roundabout, Mr Chiun on right, not the best chinese but closest and has good days. Buses ok but stop running about 7pm. Taxis arent dear, walk out, taxi back. If you walk into Central Girne get a dolmus to Lefkosia, drops you in the walled city for bus prices, worth the fare for the experience. Buses are a joy, have to be ridden to be believed, go anywhere for next to nought but back by 7 or you turn into a pumpkin

Pipie

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 02:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

One of the Bellapais restaurants offer a pick up and return to your holiday address for free . I would think that any long length of time walking in the August heat is not advisable . Hope this helps .

Park_Lane

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 07:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

If you manage to get as far as Alsancak do come and see us at Park Lane. Karaoke on Thursday night and Cyprus Night on Saturday.

Here are a few photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/parklanenortherncyprus/

cooper

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 08:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

The restaurant pipie is referring to above is the Abbey Bell Tower - Tel 0392 815 7507

Cooper

smithy

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 08:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

The best Restaurant I would recommend in Belapais is the Kybel (might be spelt different) top food and scenery to die for, they also do pick up when you make a booking

semtcm

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 10:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

someone told me the best beach they have been to this year - ie clean sea and sand - instead of filth and seaweed - is the deniz kisi beach - only 4tl to go onto 6tl if you want to use the pool aswell..

this is situated on the main road heading west out of girne deniz kisi is a hotel...they said food was good too.

where you are staying - you 2 great restaurants..Delta Cafe in the new harbour - wonderful for lunch - sit down at the sea - watch the port - and lunch is gonna cost about 12tl with a drink..then you have moni penni at the top of the road - pizza and staek house...very good food...very slow service...but worth the wait...next door to mon penni is a travel agent called polatkan - pop in and you will meet me..libby..ı have lived here 5 years and have loads of advice..i would be happy to share with you...

Stewart

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 11:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

Hi

The Delta cafe is great for afternoon tea and or a snack...cannot really recommend a meal.

Peanuts..is on the waters edge situated between the castle and the new harbour ( ie alongside the new ampitheatre ).....very recommended for either lunchtime or the evening....get there before the sun sets.

guaranteed you will visit peanuts a second time..at least

teatime

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 11:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

We used to use taxi's all the time when staying in town, never found them expensive, enjoy your stay Stewilky.

Have to agree with smithy, Kybele (my memory of spelling no better) is a wonderful setting and excellent food.

scoobydoo

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

Definitely the Kybele is the restaurant to go to in Bellapais. As said before they do offer a pick up service.

dougskud

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Hi Stewilky

re your quests for good restaurants within walking distance from where your staying.

The Courtyard: on the main road no more than 15 minutes stroll Monday night in particular with live entertainment not to be missed.

The Secret Terrace (formerly Tanners) signposts almost opposite The Courtyard again 15 minutes great location and views and the best moussaka ever.

The Grapevine, is in the same road as the Colony hotel, probably 20minutes stroll, a nice restaurant but at the higher end of the prices scale.

Seles restaurant, in the old town right opposite the Mosque, probably the best Sunday roasts in the North about 15 minutes walk

The Kybelle restaurant in Bellapais : Is really special the tables are in the grounds of the Abbey and at night it is floodlit (take a camera ) The food is about average but the views etc are something really really special.

The other good news is they will pick you up and return you free of charge.

LisaCedyNZach

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 19:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Bella Moon in bellapais. i think its called that, they pick up and take you back, food really nice, they do kleftico on a thursday i think, just ask your hotel for the number, they speak ok english on the phone.Also if you want a few drinks in bellapais before going for meal they dont mind picking you up and you going to other bars first.

cooper

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

The telephone number for the Kybele is - 0392 815 75 31 or Mobile 0533 830 32 33

I didn't know they also offer a free pick-up service too.

Cooper

stewilky

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

Thank you very much semtcm. I would really like to pick your brains for 15-20 minutes if you really don’t mind and listen to some of the advise on offer.

I have read the “Do you have a craving for anything?? Topic and see you haven’t mentioned anything.

Is there anything you really miss we can bring over, just as a small thank you.

stewilky

Message Posted:
29/07/2009 22:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

Thank you every one for your help and advice. I have already got a list from reading these forums over the last several weeks. We usually eat out most nights, so we’ll be looking to mix the cheaper and cheerful restaurants (Peanuts, Moni Penni, pizzeria etc) with the dearer recommended restaurants (Archway, Effendis, Seles etc) If we mix them 50/50 that means 7 dearer nights so will do Karaoglanglu 1 night and Archway one night, meaning only 2night for taxis so not too expensive.

Which leads me to my second question. Which is the best restaurant in Karaoglanglu?

Just thought of something….If we do 7 more upmarket restaurants. and included are Kybele, Archway and 1 in Karaoglanglu, that leaves four nights to fit in. Secret Terrace, Padisah, Kyrenia Tavern, Effendis, Restaurant 14, Seles, Grapevine etc.

Might have to bring some more money, or leave some to our next visit.

semtcm

Message Posted:
30/07/2009 12:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

no carvings really - apart from cheap clothes shops! seriously you need to bring any thing - i am just happy to help...we can order posh coffee from mani penni and sit in the lovely air conditioned office!...maybe next time u come to cyprus you will buy the flights from me!

any way...have a good flight..looking forward to meeting you..

libby

FloraBella

Message Posted:
04/08/2009 08:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

Within easy walking distance of Girne centre is the Pasabahce (also signed as Kyrenia Tavern). Walk up past the fire station (on your right) and its facing you. The lovely elderly couple who own the restaurant will make you most welcome and the food is all freshly home made and delicious. True Turkish Cypriot cooking at its very best.

SidsPinkFloyd

Message Posted:
04/08/2009 11:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Hi Stewilky

Beyti's is certainly worth a mention, is open 24hrs and probably the best value in Kyrenia. Easy to get to from the harbour. Just walk past the Colony hotel and then after about 200 yards turn right and Beyti's is in the back street. For more info on recommended restaurants try visiting http://www.aboutnorthcyprus.com/index.php/feature/m/restaurants-in-northern-cyprus/

Enjoy your hols!!

Keith

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.