North Cyprus Tourist Board - Have your cake and eat it too
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Have your cake and eat it too

Have your cake and eat it too

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

malsancak

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 09:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

"Have your cake and eat it too" on http://www.northcyprusfreepress.com

winslow

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 12:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Hello Mal

UN Secretary Ban Ki-moon appointed Alexander Downer, Former Minister for Foreign Affairs of Australia, as his Special Adviser on Cyprus. He, as a highly respected diplomat, and is there to help resolve the Cyprus problem.The allegations are that powerful players in the international system want Turkey to pass the December assessment unpunished however the RoC Claim To see real progress in the Cyprus problem,Turkey should be pressured. (2) The UN wish to submit proposals and ideas in the process, Downer Claims there is no official proposal for UN ideas. (3) There are also allegations that downer has bussiness associates in Turkey and is pro Turkish.Downer has a specific mandate to faciliate the peace process.He is accused of not staying within his specific mandate. RoC want him to be careful what he says and does, in order to remain credible. İn other words don’t say anying stay out of it.

winslow

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 12:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Continued

Political elements of the RoC regard his imput as a form of arbitration which they are against in any form, either direct or indirect, or any deadlines. RoC right wing are against Downer and constantly seeking his removal behind the scences with Christofias and party leaders.

he is also accused of using illicit practices with regards to his mission in Cyprus. He is described as a provocative and unacceptable as a Un Representative to Cyprus. (Garoyian) RoC have even gone as far as to say that he is in favor of Turkish army and settlers remaining on the island, after a solution is achieved.

winslow

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 12:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Continued

Now this is coming from opponents of the UN's peace settlement who stole 7000 pages of emails over six months including the briefings about the DIKO officials from UN computers. The UN has described how the theft is a scandal on the hierarchy with everything from the staffers' banking details to communications with friends taken from the UN's computer system in Cyprus. Yet the constanly optimistic Downer is still upbeat about the mission, in which he is hosting twice weekly and will not fall pray to his accusers.

That the way to do it….Mr Downer..!!!

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

I have been following the talks for a while and I must say I have never seen any references to the GC's wanting more involvement from the UN, the EU yes (wanting sanctions against Turkey) but not the UN.

Why would the ROC want the UN involved. The ROC wants to control the process and ultimately the result. Indications are that they want to carve a better deal than the proposed UN sponsored Annan plan. If the UN arbitrate then they are likely to use the plan as a guide to decision making.

I have heard Talat repeatedly requesting that the UN get more involved.

malsancak

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Excellent comments, I've added them to NCFP - hope you don't mind

Mal

winslow

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 12:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

ilovecyprus

İf you are referring to my post i did not say the UN. İ agree with you they are looking for the EU to impose sanctions and anyone one else who will listen.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

msge 7

Hi Winslow

I am not refering to your post at all. I should have been clearer but I am commenting on the article.

ps I am enjoying yor posts. Keep up the good work

winslow

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 13:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

İlovecyprus

Thank you İ will always be as objective as İ can.

winslow

Message Posted:
02/11/2009 13:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Mal

İ don't mind you posting my comments on NCFP you are welcome at anytime.

Where did you get my picture from İ look so young....

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.