North Cyprus Tourist Board - Importing car into north from south
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Importing car into north from south

Importing car into north from south

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

chrisnay

Message Posted:
27/05/2008 02:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

HI,

We may have to stay in south for a while and were thinking of buying a car, what would happen if we decided to bring it north with us. With a view to keeping it there.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Chris

tarry67

Message Posted:
27/05/2008 17:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

You can bring it over and keep it on South side plates but you would need an address in the South and also insurance from both sides. Some garages will let you use theirs as the address. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

rcroton

Message Posted:
05/06/2008 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

I was just about to ask the same thing! Cars do seem to be far cheaper in the South.

If not where is the best place to purchase in the North?

Richard

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
05/06/2008 16:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

For buying a car there are numerous dealers along the road from Gonyeli roundabout towards Gazi Magusa plus a few in other direction towards Guzelyurt.

Every make you can think of both new and second hand. We bought a second hand Japanese import for what we felt was a good price. A good thing to look for is modern high spec vehicles that you may not expect to see and cheaper than new ie BMW etc. Many have been bought by children of the newly rich from land sales, then found they could not make payments and are repossessed. They will be cheaper than new because import duties will already have been paid.

It is down to what you want the vehicle for, how big and price. You can only do waht you would do in UK spend time looking and evaluating before deciding.

There has been a lot of misconception in my view as to quality of service and repair. True the dealers may not have modern engine management tools but they get the job done. If they struggle then they have contacts on the south to help.

nostradamus

Message Posted:
06/06/2008 08:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

I have several friends living in the TRNC and running Greek side registered vehicles. No problem at all. Atlantic Insurance in the south provides comprehensive cover for the whole island. Most car dealers will provide an address. You can get your south side tax on line and print your own tax disc. All you need for this side is the annual 3rd party insurance that they sell at the border. If anybody needs this insurance, let me know. I have a Turkish Cypriot insurance agent who does the annual policy for less than half the price on the border.

lynnw

Message Posted:
06/06/2008 12:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

DEAR NOSTRADAMUS

U SEEM TO NO ALOT ABOUT THIS NORTH SOUTH MOTOR THING.

CAN U GET IN TOUCH WITH ME PLEASE AS MY FRIEND BOUGHT MY SOUTH SIDE JEEP FROM ME AND LIVES IN THE NORTH AND HAS NOW BEEN TOLD THEY WILL BE FINED IF THEY DRIVE THE VEHICLE IN THE TRNC ANY LONGER.

LYNNWALKER@CYTANET.COM.CY

THANKS

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 12:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

is everyone sure about all this? surely a south plate car is not required to be roadworthy with MOT, emissions test papers, have road tax etc etc in the North and abide by the laws here??

How do the North actually know that these cars are being used daily on the roads here and that they are not legally registered in the North.

is this another loophole that the poor TRNC govt has to think about?

If you live in the north then you should not be able to keep a south plate car here - full stop.

Oxoners

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Sorry Hot Hornet can't agree with you last statement, Why shouldn't a south plated car be kept in the North. There are many people living here in the North who work in the South and perhaps having a South plated car causes them less problems at the boarder or with their fellow workers. I know of some families who keep two vehicles one registered in the North and one in the South. There are many vehicles being driven in the North that should cause more concern as they appear to be un roadworthy at least if a car is from the South it will have a current MOT and one rarely see's an un road worthly looking car on the road with southern plates.

BILLY

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 17:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

I agree with Oxoners, My neighbour has a South car which cost half what it would have been in the North.

This is his second south car . It is fully comp. for both sides by Credit West bank.

He has had no problems at all at borders it is MOT and taxed in the south.

My next car will also be from the South.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.