North Cyprus Tourist Board - Does the Government care about the stray dogs and cats in TRNC?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Does the Government care about the stray dogs and cats in TRNC?

Does the Government care about the stray dogs and cats in TRNC?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

mitsi

Message Posted:
05/01/2010 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

Surely, if they cared, they would act? There are many ways to tackle the problem and a few suggestions might be : Public awareness and education. Introduce laws to encourage responsible animal ownership and welfare. Remove the high taxes levied on animal products such as Frontline and all other anti-parasitic treatments and worm medications etc; If these products were cheap maybe people would use them and this would be benficial to all. Here ticks ,fleas and worms are so prolific that we need a concerted effort to try to eradicate them all. Introduce a tax for all of a few pounds a month and that money would go to helping the animals, maybe setting up a state run Animal welfare Centre, where people with low incomes could get cheap treatments for their pets.

I am totally against the routine spraying of pesticides and refuse to have them near our garden, whenever we are at home to prevent it.

mitsi

Message Posted:
05/01/2010 20:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

This random spraying is detrimental to the other welcome species of insects ie; butterflies, ladybirds etc; Spend this money on anti-parasite treatments for dogs, cats, sheep etc and the rest of us will buy Vape for repelling mosquitoes and sand flies. Stop people from leaving their swimming pools full of stagnant water and this will help reduce the mosquitoes too. It's obvious by reading all the posts about KAR and their own website, that they are unable to cope with the problems of unwanted animals and whilst they started with good intentions, the whole thing is now out of hand. They too must ask themselves why they have made no headway with the Governments? Maybe it's time for a change and someone new at the helm who may be better suited to negotiating with the Ministers. We need a Joanna Lumley type to turn heads and get them to listen and get involved.

scruff

Message Posted:
05/01/2010 20:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Totally agree with what you say, but one of the big problems here is the attitude to neutering the animal. This isn't a matter of cost either. Well off animals owners just don't bother to get their animals neutered. An example near my home. TC lawyer, loads of money. He has 6 dogs & I've lost count of the number of cats & they just keep breeding. Many TCs think it is a bad thing to neuter an animal & this is another reason why they don't do it. They think it's interfering with nature.

You thread title says it all. Do the Government care? Answer, I'm afraid is, not in the slightest.

Lilli

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 00:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

weIn a word NO/ when i found my lovely bj he was in a compound which i then discovered belonged to the muthar. i begged him to gert the mums done there were fous at the time with 15 pups, this happens twice a year. answer why would i spoil thier fun.How sdo we educate these vilage p[eople whom we rely on to give us our leters. found 15 very sick dogs and mums fared no better just tied to trees. Well as Im told its thier country so shut my eyes and my heart xx

Oleander

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 11:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

The village people you speak of at least can be excused for not having the same culture as Brits have, when it comes to keeping animals as pets.

The Brits (so called nation of animal lovers) who return to the UK leaving their pets behind have no such excuse.

And I've seen plenty of posts on this forum by Brits appealing for others to give their 'beloved, well behaved, gentle and friendly' pets a new home because they are not going to take them back to the UK with them.

Some say they cannot afford to fly them back - does make me wonder what they would have done if they'd brought children over with them and found themselves with only enough money to fly themselves home?

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Whatever we say about the locals and their culture - we must not forget that in Western Europe (I deliberately don't write UK) "the culture" may be different but by far not always better. I know for a fact that all animal asylums in Holland are overcrowded when the holidays start - and that *many* don't come back to collect their "beloved pet" when they return home from Spain, France and what have you. I'm afraid it won't be any better in other Western European countries.

spangles

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

Just before Christmas I had an interesting conversation with a couple who live in a village outside Larnaca. Their local council has introduced new laws which state a maximum of 2 dogs may be kept in any household and they must not be chained outdoors and left to bark and cause a nuisance. Failure to adhere to this will result in fines.

Views on this anyone.

Vidal

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 13:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

Spangles

I think its a case of 'be careful what you wish for'

If that rule was applied here, what happens if you have three or four well loved, cared for dogs.

'sophie's choice'

TopTen

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 13:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Msg 8 To implement this rule in the Trnc would not solve anything we have just taken another dog from KAR , but as we already have another dog the second one will live outside in a kennel, we live in a bungalow and there is not enough room, he comes in and out of the house all day freely but at night sleeps outside.If this rule was brought into force then we take him back to KAR. Where he would live outside after being released to roam and scavenge.

spangles

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 13:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Exactly - it's the same rule for all regardless.

scruff

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

re. msg 5

I am in no way excusing people here who take on animals & then dump them when they return to the UK.

However, it isn't the cost of the flight that is generally the problem, it's the cost of keeping the animal/s in quarantine in the UK. for 6 mths. Unfortunately some people simply do not have that sort of money.

We brought 2 cats from UK. & the cost of the flight was minimal - just the excess baggage rate. These 2 cats have now gone to the afterlife. Both lived until 18 yrs old before we were forced to use euthanasia.

We still have 1 Cypriot cat. If, in the unlikely event, that we return to the UK. the cat will come with us & we will pay the price of the ridiculous quarantine requirement. However this issue has stopped me having any more animals.

Returning to UK. Friends spent £5,000 to put 2 cats in quarantine, a few years ago. I have no doubt that the cost for dogs is even more.

This wasn't a problem until ROC joined EU in 2004. No quarantine required ex TRNC.

mamachina

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Scruff - I am with you most of the way. We brought our small dog with us as he was still young - thinking in terms of hopefully we would outlive him ! At the time we were hoping all "Cyprus questions" would be solved in a way that would not jeopardise our living here for many years. If things went wrong and we had/have to return to UK, with- worst scenario - no sold house etc , we would be throwing ourselves at our children as I doubt we could afford to buy - which would mean we certainly wouldnt be able to pay 6 months quaratine for a pet, however beloved, and would we be welcome as temporary visitors to our kids (doing the rounds) with a dog as well?? What would we do with him? So I can understand how some returnees may take the chance their pet will find a home as they cant afford to take it back and pay for quaratine.

stellasstar1

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 16:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

To message 5, while I of course totally disagree with abandoning animals, the problem arises for many people when a stray turns up on the door step. Many people have taken on animals here when they had no intention of doing so, purely because they felt so sorry for the animal that had "moved in" on them. They never intended to have an animal but being English we feed them and sometimes take them into our houses, but what happens if something suddenly happens and they have to go back to England. As a few people go back because of financial reasons, how are they expected to pay to transport and quarantine an animal they hadn't really wanted in the first place? It's a catch 22 situation (or something like that). I have all my own animals, then feed 2 stray adult cats and 3 kittens. I do not want them as pets, but can't see them starve, but what happens when and if I move. I would love it if they would decide they don't like my large garden and move on, but I doubt that will happen.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 16:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

stellastar1, what a sensible and very true post, well done, of course this happens, it is not always the 'owners' fault.

erolz

Message Posted:
06/01/2010 16:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Stella I think most people can and do distinguish between their own pets and feral animals that they provide some support to. I do not think people are suggesting that stopping support of ferals in your area when you leave that area is a 'bad' thing to do. However leaving behind pets that were pets and not just ferals in your area you may have offered some support to does happen and this should rightly be condemed. I think it is this kind of behaviour that the poster in msg 5 was refering to. Having said that I know of a TC who supported many feral anaimals near where they lived and then moved and who would travel back regularly to provide food and check up on those ferals. With ferals you do what you can as you can. With pets you have a responsibility far beyond this.

Another cause of pets loosing their homes is when the owners die before the pets do. This does happen. Rarely do people make provision for the care of their pets after their death.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.