North Cyprus Tourist Board - Don't let your credit card out of your sight!
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Don't let your credit card out of your sight!

Don't let your credit card out of your sight!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» North Cyprus Property Rental Guide

ceg123

Message Posted:
08/02/2010 19:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Received this as an e-mail and thought it was worth posting.

SCENE 1

This is a new one.

People sure stay busy trying to cheat us, don't they?

A friend went to the local gym and placed his belongings in the locker.

After the workout and a shower, he came out, saw the locker open, and thought to himself,

'Funny, I thought I locked the locker.

Hmm, 'He dressed and just flipped the wallet to make sure all was in order.

Everything looked okay - all cards were in place.

A few weeks later his credit card bill came - a whooping bill of £14,000!

He called the credit card company and started yelling at them, saying that

he did not make the transactions.

Customer care personnel verified that there was no Mistake in the system

and asked if his card had been stolen.

'No,' he said, but then took out his wallet, pulled out the credit card, and yep

- you guessed it - a switch had been made.

An expired similar credit card from the same bank was in the wallet.

HNComputers

Message Posted:
09/02/2010 11:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

How did these thieves guess his pin number?

Aysesdaddy

Message Posted:
09/02/2010 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

You don't need a pin if you order online or by phone. Its rather worrying isn't it.

HNComputers

Message Posted:
09/02/2010 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

hmm thats true also, I didn't think about online ordering...however there shud be some kind of security on websites like billing address and deliver address surely?? Maybe your friend can track the deliver address down

colly

Message Posted:
09/02/2010 12:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/cardscams.asp

Whilst the origin of this cannot be verified as true or false (it has been doing the rounds for at least 5 years) it does highlight the potential for card fraud.

"You don't need a pin if you order online or by phone. Its rather worrying isn't it"

If you think about it if the deal was done over the phone the thief could of just made a note of the numbers and this would have given him/her more time as the owner would not be alerted when they used the replacement card.

I think it most unlikley that any of us could be done for this sort of amount, if ever I am making a large purchase in the thousands (does not happen very often) I alert the bank as I know the transaction will be stopped.

fallenangel

Message Posted:
09/02/2010 15:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

I recently had a fraud on my UK credit card which I had not lost, and recently used to order from Carphone Warehouse. The order was cleared with my bank, but cancelled by Carphone Warehouse and I then ordered over the phone as I wanted it delivered for a xmas present. When I checked my statement for the payment date I was horrified to find a £4000 purchase from another company.

I immediately reported it and cancelled the card, I then queried why was the transaction not checked when I certainly don't make £4000 purchases on one item and (this is worrying ) was told they do not check all transactions of this kind of amount.

So beware internet or phone ordering, it was a card for a bank that does not refer you to a further security site - I will definitely only use the safer ones in future. Fortunately most banks are indemnified for online fraud and you should be covered for any loss online, but not if you lose your card or it (or its details) are stolen from you.

Ailletoo

Message Posted:
09/02/2010 15:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

I had money fraudulently taken from my account during Nov and Dec. last year. I don't use the account very often so didn't notice until 8 separate amounts had been taken. Well done Barclays, I have now recovered 4 of these amounts since reporting it on the 26th January. I have bought online for years, but now I will certainly think again.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.