North Cyprus Tourist Board - Wills in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Wills in TRNC

Wills in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

donegal

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 10:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 17 in Discussion

Do you need to use a laywer for this or can you register it yourself??

Hot Hornet

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 17 in Discussion

he donegal

believe you do need a lawyer, as they will advise on what the basic requirements are. however you are the one that then needs to go to court to lodge it, and it would need to be in Turkish obviously.

maybe you don't need one, but not sure how you would get advice from anyone but a lawyer

sorry not very helful! anyone else?

orangekazzie

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Donegal

If you have property in Cyprus then it is very important to have a Will. You need to use a Lawyer/Notary as it needs to be drawn up correctly otherwise if you die intestate then your property/belongings automatically go to the Government. Any Will you have in the UK is not recognised in TRNC.

Karen

breezyboy

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 11:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 17 in Discussion

I was told that TRNC doesnt recognise UK will and vice versa. So for £100 including taking me to court and arranging everything I though it was good peace of mind. Although the lady at court clearly understands English she insisted on everything being said in Turkish.

elko2

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 17 in Discussion

I am afraid there is too much misinformation on this thread.

1. Anyone can draw up a will legally if you know what you are doing. However a clear expression of your wishes may not be enough, it has to adhere to certain rules, hence if you do not know how to do it, get it done by a professional.

2. Wills do not have to be registered in court but it is much better if ytou do so.

3. Wills can be in any language but you may have difficulties proving its contents when the time comes and it may be unnecessarily costly. My advise is to stick to Turkish or English.

4. Wills made anywhere in the worl is valid as long as it is in conformity with our laws and as long as you can prove its contents successfully if challenged in court. Hence it is advisable to ahve wills wrt property in Cyprus prepared in Cyprus.

5. If you die without a will, your estate does not go to the government automatically. Your heirs can claim it "in accordance with TRNC Law" i.e. remaining spouse gets only one sixth and the child or children gets five sixth.

6. If you are British you can dispense with your property as you wish in your will. If you are a Cypriot with a child or children, you can give away only the "disposable" part which is one third of your estate. If you are a foreigner but not British, you are subject to the same law as the Cypriots but you can dispose all your movables with your will.

Anything else?

ismet

PS:

Please do not buy property in TRNC until the Specific Performance law is amended, otherwise you cannot sue for the title deeds.

elko2

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 12:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 17 in Discussion

If I may add:

7. There are only Certifying Officers in Cyprus who are empowered to authorize your signature. Most of them masquarade as Noters with varying degrees of knowledge in legal matters. So have no clue at all.

ismet

PS:

Please do not buy property in TRNC until the Specific Performance law is amended, otherwise you cannot sue for the title deeds.

lovelife

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 17 in Discussion

Donegal

We did our wills when we were out in May, it is drawn up in English and our solicitor/advocate took us to the courts to register them, you have to take your passport and sign the envelope with your will inside it. It is then sealed with the old fashioned sealing wax and an official stamp, our wills only reflect our assets in the TRNC.

It cost us £200 for the 2 wills which was cheaper than our advocate (who we have for our house purchase) quoted.

Regards

LL

Notsoboredhw

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 21:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 17 in Discussion

Yes we had Wills drawn up in TRNC - used Naomi Mehmet - very easy and we were then taken to the Courts to have them sealed and stamped and stored with the Courts - we retained a copy which we have since placed with our UK lawyers. Our UK lawyers did confirm that any property in TRNC would not be recognised in our English Wills - thats why we had TRNC Wills drawn up.

Chris

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 22:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 17 in Discussion

I'm coming back to haunt my builder!!!

Chris

davidoff

Message Posted:
13/06/2008 22:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 17 in Discussion

Hi all,

You shoulkd always make a will in the country you have purchased property or have assets in!

Then store a copy of this with your lawyers in your home country for future reference only!

Its better to be safe than sorry at the end of the day!

take care d

but-n-ben

Message Posted:
14/06/2008 13:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 17 in Discussion

Listen to Elko2 (Ismet) on this one friends he is 100% accurate and he is a legal eagle, please

It irks me when people name their lawyers etc as I think a lot of people have problems with lawyers here and some of them are the ones being named

Lisa&Mark

Message Posted:
15/06/2008 11:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Ismet

Sorry to sound a bit thick but would you please explain briefly what is the Specific Performance Law? This a new one for me. Tried looking on the internet for an explanation, but with not much luck at the moment.

Many thanks

Lisa

Zuhre

Message Posted:
15/06/2008 11:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 17 in Discussion

Hi Elko.

Can you clarify following please:-

1) Surely my property in NC will automatically pass to my children. I was born in London and have British passport.

2) My father refuses to draw up a will, has property in NC, divorced, 2 children. What will happen to his property upon death?

3) My mother remarried, will property pass to her on her hubby's death. He does not have any children.

elko2

Message Posted:
15/06/2008 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 17 in Discussion

Lisa,

I will start a new thread on Specific Ferformance, please watch out.

Zuhre,

1. If you die and you have no spouse left behind, he children get your state but it is not automatic. You have to set up the estate through the court to deal with it and complete the formalities. It is a simple matter. If you have a spouse, he gets one sixth and the children get the rest.

2. Once your father dies with no will, children gets the estate as explained above.

3. Since your mother is divorced, she gets nothing from your father's estate.

ismet

Zuhre

Message Posted:
15/06/2008 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 17 in Discussion

thanks, just to clarify, my mother has remarried and was asking about new husband and his property/finances, is she entitled to anything or should he make a will.

elko2

Message Posted:
15/06/2008 14:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 17 in Discussion

Your mother is entitled to only one sixth of his estate. However your father can make a will and leave up to one third to her. Hence in such an event she will get one third plus one sixth of the remaining two thirds, making a total of 4/9 or just over 44% of the total estate.

ismet

Zuhre

Message Posted:
15/06/2008 19:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 17 in Discussion

sorry to sound so stupid - but who is entitled to the remainder - surely if step-father leaves the property to mother by way of a will, property passes to her.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.