North Cyprus Tourist Board - Child car seats
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Child car seats

Child car seats

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Nasist60

Message Posted:
11/08/2008 00:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

We are arriving on 24th August and want to hire a car. We have three children (twins of 6 and one 9 year old) - do they all require child car seats - what are the current law regarding this? Are there any recommendations for car hire?

spook

Message Posted:
11/08/2008 00:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

Should hurry up and get your car hire sorted,posting on TRNC board says having tried 15 hire firms is still looking.

You could try http://www.sevener-group.com

Speak to Ersan he has a backroom full of car seats that people have left he may be able to help, or just bring your own,your airline will accept these normally without charge.

Having seen the locals driving around with children standing in the front i would not think that there are any rules with regard to this,however there is no way i would allow any of my grandchildren to travel other than in an approved car seat,particularly with the standard of driving in the TRNC.

Good luck,enjoy your holidays

Gilly

Message Posted:
11/08/2008 09:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

For 6 and 9 year olds you probably only need booster seats. Most car seats are for 0-4 year olds. Try Willow Baby Equipment Hire or Kidz@Willow on: 00 90 533 866 3615 they have loads of equipment and are based in Catalkoy and Alsancak.

I don't think there are actually any laws out here about children in cars but I'm totally in agreement with Spook in that I would never, ever, allow any of my grandchildren to travel in a car without being fully safe and strapped in.

Hope this helps. Have a great holiday.

brian24001

Message Posted:
11/08/2008 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

The actual rules here seem to be to let your children climb all over the inside of the car whilst driving, or have them sitting on your lap in the front (i've seen it with drivers too), one can only assume that with no air bags, the idea is to hope the child will soften any impact for the adult in an accident.

Bertie

Message Posted:
11/08/2008 09:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

We used Bird car hire in June they supplied the seats at no charge, the fixings aren't as good as here but did the job.Had 7seater Zafira at excellent price.(they are on net)

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
11/08/2008 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

As August is busiest month of year, if you have not booked then try to do something asap.

Our friend who runs a hire car business only has cars available over next month for odd days.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
11/08/2008 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

How anyone can say "I don't think there are actually any laws out here about children in cars" obviously have not done their homework before going to Northern Cyprus. Of course there are rules, just because some people choose not to adhere to them does not make it there are no rules. What will you tell the Insurance company after an accident, that you decided not to restrain the children because the locals don't.

Seat belts are compulsory and no children allowed in the front. Under 5's have to be in a car seat and under 12's are to be in the back with a seatbelt.

Any respectful Car Hire company will know this and should be telling you this when you hire a car if they tell you any different then walk away.

Why when you get to Northern Cyprus do you think it should be any different all rules are similarly based on the UK and Cyprus. Do what you do in UK or should be doing and that is put your children at the back of the car and wear your seatbelt.

brian24001

Message Posted:
11/08/2008 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

dalatokat is right, follow the rules not the custom and practice, the rules are the same a UK, just not enforced, and hire companies should provide the correct child safety equipment (but most dont have).

I also just remembered, we used to bring out car seats on the flights, along with buggy, these were never classed as part of our luggage allowance, not sure if this has changed, but worth asking.

Nasist60

Message Posted:
12/08/2008 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Thank you everybody for your replies - especially brian 24001 which really made me laugh and dalatokat very informative.

stevie-d

Message Posted:
12/08/2008 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

I always use http://www.birdrentacar.com also my friends who have 2 children aged 4 and 6, they will supply everything you need. I would higly recommend them, very friendly staff and reasonable prices.

stevie-d

brian24001

Message Posted:
12/08/2008 15:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Glad to amuse Nasist60!

Juat a thought, have you tried Berkan at Pacific? he has kiddy car seats.

And will drop the car for free at Ercan, and you can drop it there when leaving (or at least used to do).

http://www.pacific-rentals.com.

sunnydays

Message Posted:
12/08/2008 17:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

I wouldn't rely on any car hire company providing car seats. We were left high and dry when the seats provided by the rental company were A) Too small (they were baby seats for up to 9 months when our daughters were infact 19 months and 3 yrs), even though we checked twice before we arrived that the correct seats would be provided. B) Too dangerous, loose straps etc etc..would NOT have kept the children safe in a collision.

Thankfully Willow Baby Equipment Hire that Gilly recommended, came to our rescue immediately. Great seats which gave me the peace of mind to enjoy the rest of our trip. I would definately recommend them. Otherwise take your own, as long as they're included in your luggage allowence. Thats' what we'll do in future.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.